Friday, May 13, 2011

Introduction Words

I am a numbers guy. Numbers speak for themselves. They make sense. You always know what they mean, what they represent, and if you look at a number close enough, you can see how you got to that number. However, I know that to live and function in society, a person must use their words to communicate and function in society.

This is my dilemma. It seems that when I open my mouth, I either say something offensive (and get awkward looks from people as they inch away), I say something that no one agrees with (and get a tirade of reasons thrown, yelled, and yes... even spit at me to tell me why I am wrong), or I say something utterly brilliant. This is the magic of words. They convince people why they are wrong and you are right. They make people feel wonderful about themselves. They make people want to kill themselves. They make you want to shut out all of society and go live in a cave... or is that just me?

I will say many things on this blog. These words I will say are not for you; they are for me. I will give my opinions, I will rant and rave about the jerk on the highway, I will tell a funny story, I will reminisce about stupid things my friends and I did growing up.

A wonderful thing that words can do that numbers cannot do is console someone. Words can bring back good memories, and they can bring back horrible memories. Words can give other people an insight into how your quirky mind works. Words can help you remember why you became interested in something, Words can help future generations understand where they came from... and once they realize I am their great-grandfather, they can run- screaming and crying back to their mother and plead with her to show them their adoption papers.

But like I said earlier... this is not for you, it is for me.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea Dustin. I look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So.........almost a month later we're still on post #1...bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know... I'm procrastinating a bit. I will try to post something soon.

    ReplyDelete